Is your idea of a typical lunch a sandwich and a bag of chips? On the LCHF (low carbohydrate, high fat) diet, that will have to change…but that doesn’t mean that you can’t still have some of your favorites. In fact, you may be able to enjoy foods you may have previously avoided! A hearty salad with protein, low-starch vegetables, and olive oil–based dressing is always a great option. Scroll down for a quick Mexican-inspired shrimp salad. You can replace the bread in sandwiches and wraps with large leaves of romaine lettuce, collard greens, or cabbage. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Spinach Salad with strawberries, almonds, goat cheese, and chicken with balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Arugula with blackberries, avocado, and walnuts with canned salmon, olive oil, and lemon juice
- Chopped chicken breast (with skin) on romaine lettuce with cucumbers, artichokes, and feta cheese with olive oil and red vinegar
- Tuna, tomatoes, avocado, and walnuts on mixed greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Poached salmon, radishes, and green onions on mixed greens with olive oil and lemon juice
- Egg salad (boiled eggs, mayo, dill pickle) on mixed greens with olive oil
- Lettuce wraps filled with tuna, mayo, and avocado
- Lettuce wraps filled with shrimp, salsa, Monterey jack cheese, and avocado
- Lettuce wraps filled with chicken, cheddar, and coleslaw
- BLT lettuce wraps (filled with bacon, avocado, tomato, and mayo)
- Turkey slices wrapped around cucumber spears and avocado slices
- Half an avocado stuffed with seafood salad
- Half an avocado stuffed with chicken salad
- Hard boiled eggs, celery sticks filled with almond butter
- Leftovers from yesterday’s dinner
Shrimp & Avocado Salad
When you’re craving Mexican food, this shrimp, avocado, and lime salad with a hint of cilantro hits the spot.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: N/A | Total time: 5 minutes
14.7 grams total carbs / 7.2 grams net carbs
- 6 ounces shrimp, frozen (cleaned and cooked)
- ½ avocado, chopped
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash hot sauce (optional)
- Thaw the shrimp. Remove the tails (if they’re still on). Roughly chop the shrimp.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp with the avocado, lettuce, and the cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, and hot sauce, if using.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss.